GUIDE TO PLANNING YOUR TRIP
HOW TO GET HERE | WHERE TO STAY | WHAT TO BRING
Where you choose to stay and rest during your visit is a critical component to receiving and retaining everything our training has to offer. Due to our rural location, the nearest (and cheapest) accommodations leave a lot to be desired. However, there are some wonderful areas nearby with clean, comfortable and affordable accommodations.
HOTELS IN NAMPA
HOTELS IN BOISE
Boise is an easy 45 minute drive from our base. Those interested in excellent restaurants and entertainment should consider staying in our wonderful capital city. Our recommended hotels are walking distance from beautiful downtown Boise. Another perk, downtown Boise is only four miles from Boise Airport. If your spouse will be joining you on your trip to Idaho, staying downtown will afford you both an enjoyable experience during your time here.
HOTELS IN CALDWELL
Though Caldwell offers the nearest hotels to our base, we’ve received very poor feedback from clients that have chosen to stay in Caldwell. Unfortunately, we recommend against staying in Caldwell.
TRAVELING IN YOUR RV?
Ambassador RV Park, located in Caldwell, is a full-service RV park offering clean facilities for a great rate. Will accommodate rigs of all sizes. (15 minutes from our base)
If visiting us from outside the greater Boise area, you’ll want to book a commercial flight to Boise Airport. From the Boise Airport, you’ll drive yourself 45 minutes to our base in Greenleaf.
If arriving in your own aircraft, we recommend Nampa (MAN) for the best services and closest proximity to our recommended hotels. Click here for an airport overview provided by AOPA.
*Please note: We don’t recommend Caldwell due to traffic and lack of services. Additionally, our base at Greenleaf Air Ranch is a private residential community and has no outside airplane parking or services.
IMPORTANT: OUR EXACT LOCATION HAS NOT YET BEEN MAPPED.
GOOGLE AND GPS WILL LEAD YOU TO THE WRONG HANGAR. WE RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE NO TROUBLE FINDING US.
CLICK HERE FOR A PRINTABLE MAP AND DIRECTIONS.
- Program your GPS/navigation to take you to Nathan’s Greenleaf Café located at 21513 Main St. (Hwy 19) in Greenleaf, ID.
- Once you arrive at the café, you are now only two minutes from our location. If you are early, this is a great local diner for breakfast or a cup of coffee.
- From Nathan’s Greenleaf Café, take Friends Rd North ½ mile to Peckham Rd.
- Turn left on Peckham Rd.
- Turn right on Oakwood Dr
- VEER LEFTto follow Oakwood to the end
- Turn right on Cessna Court.
- We are located in the brown hangar that displays “S & R”
- Please park in the cul-de-sac and walk down the gravel driveway to the “S & R” Hangar. Follow the arrow and enter in the left side of the Hangar.
PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE OFF PAVEMENT, ACROSS DIRT LOTS OR ON TAXIWAYS.
WHAT TO BRING
- FLAT, THIN-SOLED SHOES LIKE A LIGHT-WEIGHT RUNNING OR WALKING SHOE: It’s important that you’re able to feel the sensitive rudder pedals and not accidentally apply the toe brakes.
- BASEBALL HAT, SUNSCREEN AND NON-POLARIZED SUNGLASSES: With glass overhead and bubble doors below your seat, the 360 degree views can be bright. You’ll want sun protection, no matter the time of year. Viewing our glass panel displays with polarized sunglasses can render them black to the eye making non-polarized glasses essential. The factory and flight school have logo’d hats for purchase (or free on your first solo).
- FOR BACKCOUNTRY TRAINING TOURS: Pack light in a soft duffle or backpack (with a carabiner). Please NO hard suitcases (especially with wheels). Plan on warm days and cool nights. Plan on not having cell signal while in the backcountry.
- YOUR LOG BOOK AND PILOT LICENSE
- FOR STUDENT PILOTS: Bring your passport or other proof of citizenship (driver’s license AND birth certificate)
- WE PROVIDE BOSE ACTIVE NOISE-CANCELING HEADSETS
FOOD & ENTERTAINMENT
Restaurant parameters: good food, good atmosphere, good service, consistent, good value. Most Boise restaurants are walkable from the recommended Boise hotels.
GREAT DINNER CUISINE (food + atmosphere + service):
PETITE 4: Small restaurant with a French twist. Reservations recommended. Located in Boise.
BRICK 29: Locally sourced, farm to table. Located in Nampa.
ALAVITA: Local sourced, farm to table, Italian. Located in Boise.
FORK: Locally sourced, farm to table. Located in Boise.
ORCHARD HOUSE: Located in the wine region, 10 minutes from Greenleaf.
WILLOW CREEK GRILLE: Located near the Boise Airport.
NATHAN’S GREENLEAF CAFE: Located in Greenleaf.
GOODWOOD: Beats all other BBQ around Idaho. Multiple locations.
CHANDLERS: Jazz every night. Located in Boise.
INDIAN CREAK STEAKHOUSE: Located in Caldwell.
CHOP SHOP BBQ: smoke-house themed from local sources, chef run specials, minimal seating and small local-only beer/wine bar. Located in downtown Caldwell.
BURGERS & LOCALLY BREWED BEER
10 BARRELL BREWING COMPANY: Brew Pub located in Boise.
BARDENAY: Spirit Distillery. Two locations + in the Boise airport.
BOISE FRY COMPANY: Bison burgers, fries of different Idaho potatoes, local beer. Located in Nampa.
BURGER THEORY: At the Holiday Inn in Nampa.
HOLY COW: Gourmet burgers and hand cut fries. Located in downtown Nampa
BAR GERNIKA: Small Basque restaurant in downtown Boise. Order the Croquetas.
BONEFISH: Located in Boise.
GINO’S: Located in Meridian.
CUCINA Di PAOLO: Located in Boise.
LUCIANO’S ITALIAN RESTAURANT: Located in Boise.
TONY’S: Located in Boise
FLATBREAD: Multiple locations.
MESSENGER PIZZA AND PRE-FUNK BAR: Rotating selection of local only beer. Bring the pizza into the bar. Located in Nampa.
BODOVINO: 100s of wine on-tap. Located in Boise.
DHARMA SUSHI & THAI: Located in Boise.
PF CHANGS: Located in Boise.
RAW SUSHI: Located in Boise.
HAPPY FISH SUSHI: Located in Boise.
MAI THAI: Located in Boise.
ENRIQUE’S: Unique, hard to find dishes. Family run, truly authentic. Located in Kuna.
MESA TACOS & TEQUILA: a la carte gourmet tacos, great cocktails and tequila menu. Located in downtown Nampa.
GOLDY’S: Popular downtown Boise breakfast spot.
THE GRIDDLE: Multiple locations.
JAVA COFFEE: Multiple locations.
FLYING M COFFEE: Locations in Boise, Nampa and Caldwell.
BIG CITY COFFEE: Great place for waffles in a funky garage-type atmosphere. Near Modern Hotel in Boise.
GRIT CALDWELL: Regional American inspired. Located in Downtown Caldwell.
AMANO: Hand-crafted Mexican located in Downtown Caldwell.
PARMA RIDGE WINERY: Wine tasting as well as a full menu, beautiful patio with views. Located in Parma.
VINE & BRANCH: Cider & Wine Tasting Room, small plates…all on an organic farm. Located in rural Caldwell.
WARHAWK MUSEUM: They fly their displays. Idaho Aviation with a World War II focus. Located at the Nampa Airport.
WINERY TOURS: We’re located minutes from Idaho’s Snake River Valley Wine Region. Click here to learn more about the 12 vineyards along the Sunnyslope Wine Trail.
BOISE CONTEMPORARY THEATER: small professional plays 6x/year + special musical & dance events
EGYPTIAN THEATER: Old movies and concerts. Architecturally unique inside.
SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL: Summer/Fall in their own unique outdoor theater.
BOISE ART MUSEUM: Located downtown Boise by the river.
BOISE TROLLEY TOURS: narrated trolley tour of the city (pickup by the Black Heritage museum)
BOTANICAL GARDENS AND ADJACENT PENITENTIARY TOUR: Warm Springs Ave.
WORLD CENTER FOR BIRDS OF PREY: 5668 West Flying Hawk Lane (just south of the Boise Airport)
BOGUS BASIN SKI AREA: Alpine slide. Only 45 minutes (18 miles) from downtown Boise.
PAYETTE RIVER WHITE-WATER RAFTING: See www.cascaderaft.com and www.bearvalleyrafting.com
BOISE RIVER BIKE PATH: rent a bike @ George’s or Idaho Mountain Touring
ALL DAY SCENIC DRIVES: Through the mountains and along the rivers & lakes, to historic mining towns, natural hot springs, fire lookouts. See Paul
DRIVE IN MOVIE THEATRE: Parma Motor-Vu. Located in Parma.
FLY-IN BREAKFASTS: to backcountry dude ranches. See Paul